Policy IHE: Promotion and Retention
PROMOTION STANDARDS FOR GRADES 6, 7, & 8
- Students in grades 6-8 shall be retained if the student fails two or more courses (including Connections classes & ELT), as determined by an end-of-course average of 70 or better.
- To be promoted to grade 9, students in grade 8 are also required to achieve an eight grade spring reading Lexile score at or above the "Basic" level (defined in exhibit IHE-E(1) as 790L or higher)
- Students in grades 6-8 who have not met the above promotion standards may be promoted upon recommendation of a placement committee after consideration of factors which would support an opportunity for likely success at the next grade level, to include:
- attendance record
- performance as indicated in formal and informal assessments ELA/reading assessments (including other assessments that measure a reading Lexile such as the Milestones End-of-Grade assessment)
- work samples from core content areas
- standardized test results
- participation and performance in after-school programs or extended day programs
- teacher recommendation
- Any student in grade 8 with a final end-of-year report card grade of "F" (Failing) in the subject of math will have his/her academic progress in that subject area reviewed by the school before being promoted to the next grade.