Summer Reading Toolkit
READ! Reading over the summer helps keep your skills in top shape, you'll even become a better reader while you have fun escaping into stories and information!
Here are links to help you with your summer reading goals!
Bear Scholars can bring any summer reading log to our school library when we come back on August 4th. School Library will have a special reward for successful summer readers who bring their log!
- Athens Public Library Get Pumped (Video): Fun Programs and Events! Earn Free Prizes! Visit on Baxter St., or Winterville, or Lay Park, or Aaron Heard Park (E. Athens), or Pinewoods, or Oconee/Watkinsville, or most any Public Library in Georgia!
- Play Home Base @ Scholastic Make new friends as you play this safe online video game and explore islands from the books you love.
- Barnes and Noble Summer Reading for grades 1st - 6th. Read any 8 books, write it in your B&N journal and then earn a free book from B&N!
- MORE! Many Free Summer Reading Programs for Kids! Do any of them, show Mr. Webber your reading journal in August!
Reading Resources (get access to books):
- Play Card! 🆕 Every student already has free library card! *No overdue fines! Plus audio books, eBooks, and many digital resources. See Athens Public Library below. This card is valid at all "GA PINES" public libraries, including Athens Library branches on Baxter St., Winterville, Lay Park, Aaron Heard Park (E. Athens) and Pinewoods!
- Our eBooks in Destiny (Login with your google.)
- Our Sora eBooks (Choose Clarke County Schools, login with your google.)
- Sora Sweet Reads for Summer! (Find book, choose Clarke County, login with your google.)
- Unite For Literacy (easy to use eBooks, disponible en español también. )
- Athens Public Library has several branches, and also offers many digital resources. (See "Play Card" above;)
- OUR Tumblebook Library! Click this link and you won't need a password.
- YouTube Read Alouds & Storytimes (TRY: Storytime w/ Mr. Stephen, Sankofa Read Aloud, Lindsay Out Loud.)
- Books For Keeps These books are for your choice reading this summer!
- EPIC! (Available for summer school kids during summer school hours. Or try EPIC Basic free, parents will sign up.)
- GENERIC READING LOG - You can use this one if you don't go to the Public Library, or Barnes and Noble, or get a log somewhere. Download a Generic Reading Log
Summer Reading Lists
Encourage kids to read anything. This year, neither Hilsman nor our own upper grades have requested or recommended specific books to read.
So, give your child choices and let them find what they enjoy! **Even reading YouTube comments and following how-to-DIY instructions count as reading! But if you want lists, Mr. Webber recommends Parkway School District's very well curated set of reading lists by grade levels. (2020 lists are still good!) K-2 Lists 3-5 Lists 6-8 Lists
If you want to keep up with recent notable books, we recommend the American Library Association's list of Notable Children's Books for 2022 .
Learn More About Summer Reading & "Summer Slide":
- How to Help Your Child with Summer Reading. Kids who don’t read over the summer regress. Their hard-earned reading skills decline. PS: All reading counts. Mr. Webber asks his kids: "What is the funniest comment for that YouTube video?" and "What is that billboard telling us?", etc..
- How to choose books for summer reading. "What books should my kid read?", you ask. Answer: "Ask your kid". This interesting article explains some of the research supporting student choice for independent reading.
- Three Ways to Prevent Summer Slide. "Keep Reading Aloud" and two more fun easy tips!
- Ten Facts About Summer Slide. For those who want to know more. Includes links to research highlights!
Email the librarian Mr. Webber at email@example.com