School Choice for 2020-2021
The School Choice application period has closed for the 20-21 school year. The application for the 21-22 school year will open on April 1, 2021.
School assignments in the Clarke County School District (CCSD) are based upon the boundaries of geographic attendance zones. However, School Choice allows parents of CCSD students enrolled in kindergarten through 12th grade to apply for a transfer to a school outside of their attendance zone, provided space is available.
Schools Eligible for School Choice Transfers
- Schools Choice transfers are not available at newly opened schools for a period of four years from the school’s opening. CCSD does not currently have any schools in this category.
- School Choice transfers are only available at schools where the district has determined there is available classroom space after all assigned students have been enrolled. This is based upon a maximum class size formula provided by the state of Georgia. Once a school’s maximum class size is reached, the school will be closed for School Choice enrollments.
- A list of the schools with available space for School Choice will be posted on this page by April 1 each year.
School Choice Application Process
To apply, the parent/guardian must complete the School Choice application, with photo ID, at the Student Registration Center (440 Dearing Ext.).
- The application period will be open from April 1 through April 30.
- If the number of applications exceeds the spaces available at a particular school, selections will be made by random lottery.
- Families will receive mailed notification letters by the end of May. If selected for School Choice, the parent/guardian must visit the Student Registration Center by June 30 to accept the transfer.
General Provisions for School Choice Transfers
- Only students currently enrolled in the Clarke County School District may apply for a School Choice transfer. If a student is selected for a transfer and subsequently moves outside the Clarke County School District or is withdrawn for any reason, the School Choice enrollment will end at the time of the move or withdrawal. If the student re-enrolls in CCSD, a new School Choice application will need to be submitted.
- If the student receives Special Education services, the parent/guardian may only apply for School Choice to a school that offers the services required by the student’s current Individual Education Plan (IEP). CCSD is not required to develop the services at the requested school as long as they are available within the district.
- Parents accepting School Choice transfers are responsible for timely transportation to and from the selected school. Bus transportation will not be provided to students attending out of zone schools.
- All out of zone assignments, including School Choice enrollments, are contingent upon good attendance and behavior and can be revoked if these conditions are not met.
- Any high school student transferring under School Choice must meet Georgia High School Association requirements to participate in competitive interscholastic activities. The parent/guardian should contact the high school’s Athletic Director to determine if a transfer would result in the loss of athletic eligibility.
- Students enrolled through School Choice may continue to attend that school until all grades of the school are completed, provided that they remain residents of CCSD. Students must re-apply for School Choice when moving from elementary to middle or from middle to high.
Andrea Anderson, Student Registration Coordinator