Advanced Content - Grades 5-8
What is Advanced Content?
Advanced Content courses in the Clarke County School District provide rigorous instruction in the content areas designed to expose students to more in-depth content in order to better prepare them for Advanced and AP courses at the high school level and beyond. In these classes, students will study, discuss, research, and be held accountable for learning advanced concepts in a reading and writing-intensive environment. Students can expect to engage with content outside of the classroom through homework and reading assignments in order to devote classroom instruction to inquiry, collaboration, and elements of project-based learning.
What Advanced Content courses are offered in grades 5-8?
Advanced content math is offered in grades 5-8. Advanced content ELA is offered in grades 6-8. High school courses are also offered at the 8th-grade level. These courses include high school physical science, high school foreign language, and high school honors algebra I.
What are the criteria for Advanced Content placement?
Advanced Content placement criteria are developed by the Clarke County School District (CCSD) as a requirement of the Georgia Department of Education. In order to qualify for placement in an advanced content class, student performance is reviewed using 3 criteria: i-Ready performance, grades, and teacher recommendations. Each criteria contributes to an overall Advanced Content placement score. Access the link in the table below for the advanced content criteria in each grade level.
When will I know about my child's Advanced Content placement?
- Rising 6th-8th grade students will receive a letter in June 2021 with their advanced content placement. Rising 5th-grade students will be informed by their school.
Can I have input about my child's Advanced Content placement?
- Students who are not eligible will be reconsidered for advanced placement after Spring 2021 i-Ready testing as well as during 2021 Fall conferences and based on Fall 2021 1st quarter grades and Fall 2021 i-Ready performance.
5th Grade Advanced Content (AC) Course Offered
- AC Math / GR 5 AC Criteria
6th Grade Advanced Content (AC) Courses Offered
- AC Math and AC ELA / GR 6 AC Criteria
7th Grade Advanced Content (AC) Courses Offered
- AC Math and AC ELA / GR 7 AC Criteria
8th Grade Advanced Content (AC) Courses Offered